Sunday, July 6, 2014

Things Change


We readied ourselves for a quick trip to the Okanagan to visit my Mom. Having sold “Maj” my maxi scooter, I was in the market for a new ride and ScooterChick was looking for a 50cc. to add to her growing stable. Our first stop was in Langley to look at a Honda Jazz. 


ScooterChick employed her excellent negotiating skills to great advantage. She got the price lowered by about 36% and made an excellent deal.

This is the new addition “Raspberry”. She is as cute as the day is long. While Scooterchick made the transaction, I ensured she was firmly affixed to the trailer. Then it was off to our next stop.


I had lined up a couple bikes to look at but my preference would have been the first one. I looked it over while the owner showed me a few of the features, and we struck a deal. I didn’t quite manage the deal my Baby did but I got a reduction of 20% from his listed price.


Since we were in Mission, the previous owner and I transacted the conveyance locally and we shook hands on the deal. Then we parted ways.


By now our stomachs were growling and Patsy had found a place to get some lunch. It was a Korean Japanese Fusion restaurant on the Main Street, and she had ordered for me while I finished up at the insurance agents.


Scooterchick ordered one of her favorite Korean dishes which came on a sizzling platter. Pork Bulgogi. I find it a bit spicy for my taste but Patsy likes it. 




She had ordered a combo lunch for me which came a California Roll, Sashimi and Miso Soup. Very good, really hit the spot on an empty stomach.


I took a few pictures of downtown Mission which seems to have changed little from the late 70’s, but which has in truth spread quite considerably in population. Still looks the same on the main drag though. 




Here are the 2 bikes bolted down and ready for a trip to the Okanagan.


Here then is the overall picture. For a name I have reached all the way back to Ted Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss and the story of “The Cat in the Hat”. I decided an apt moniker would be “ Thing 2!”. Discretion and modesty would discourage me from revealing the location of “ Thing 1!”.


One of the things that was alluring to me was the mileage on this bike. I have read many accounts on ADV Rider of people traveling great distances on smaller displacement machines and it helps that this one had the low mileage it did to start off with.


This is a picture of the “engine bay”. Not much to it really, a single cylinder and minimal electrics with which to deal. My opinion (rightly or wrongly) is simple is better. Less to go wrong. When the ignition is turned on, and the choke is set, one kick brings the motor to life.




As you can see the original tank decals are still readable. These cautionary mottos I had known already but it’s nice to see instructions from yester-decade. As you can see, this bike is the height of engineering simplicity and style for Honda in 1977.


The paint is still in fine shape as are the rest of the finishes, though time worn are good. I did have to replace the front tire which had checked with age. I went with the Heidenau K60 Scout which although a bit upmarket for my taste has good reports about durability and tread wear.


The previous owner also gave me a gnarly dirt tire, for which I really have no use. I will not be going into any roost inducing shredder territory. I gave it to the Honda Tech when he was mounting my new tire.


By now the hour was growing late, and we having eaten prepared to rest. The sun reclined with a flash of color.


A shakedown cruise would definitely be in order so we readied ourselves for a little putt around the neighbor hood. The area where my Mom lives has fairly quiet roads so we rolled down into the little village of Naramata, and did a quick tour around.  Here is Patsy, enjoying the heck out of Raspberry.



We rolled back into Mom’s having completed a whopping 5.7 miles. Here we see the victorious ScooterChick. Her one comment was, it sure seems slow after riding my 250cc.



This picture of the helmets shows the few spots of rain through which we rode. Just a drizzle really, enough to cool down a bit and that’s all.



And that’s all for now......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All in all a good day!