Saturday, October 12, 2013

Time To Fire Up The Smoker


It was a perfect day. The smoker which been lovingly assembled in a previous post was standing ready to serve, and I was ready to load it with charcoal. With temperatures in the low 80's and a light breeze the time had come to smoke some beast.


I put up a small table to hold the necessitos and got out the charcoal and the lighter. After liberally coating all surfaces with Grape Seed Oil (high smoke point) per instructions and making a pile of Charcoal it was ready to light.


Let there be fire. I grew up in the pre Propane and CNG era and have always preferred coals, although I understand the allure of turning a valve and pushing an ignitor. There's just something shall we say prehistoric about heating meat over charcoal. It satisfies the soul as well as the palate.


Let there be meat! Scooterchick had made a rub yesterday and we had applied it to the ribs and let them stew in their own juices overnight. We placed them on the grill, mopped them with a little Apple  Juice and set to smoking!


My beloved takes a picture of the meat. I take a picture of her taking a picture of the meat. Neat?  All reet!


Although the majority of the ribs are for an event we are having tomorrow, we couldn't really resist trying a few on for size tonight. "Here, get that in ya" as the Aussies say. Ribs and Collard Greens were dinner, and what a dinner it was. The ribs had been finished with a made-from-scratch sauce, again courtesy of my darling, and I demolished a few to check the tenderness.

While not fall off the bone tender, they were meaty, well done and lip smackingly good. It took me a couple minutes to wash the juicy goodness out of my beard after dinner so I was well pleased.


I can hardly wait for another opportunity to use the smoker. Now that it's been broken in I'm thinking Buffalo? Armadillo? Raccoon? Who knows....stay tuned for our next installment.......

No comments: