Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fresno

We woke up a little later this a.m. because we had a shorter way to travel today. I thought a few more pictures this morning were in order, since it was such a beautiful morning.

Here is a picture outside the Breakfast Room.


This is a little further on, where you can see a scalloped path leading toward the pool deck. The lawn is well manicured and the flowerbeds tended with diligence.



The pool and hot tub are in great shape. It's too bad that we didn't get a chance to try them out, but then there you are.


This is a picture looking back towards the Breakfast Room. This little photo divertissement was altogether delightful, in the cool morning air with the birds singing and the sun shining bright.
 

We left the hotel in the bright sunshine at about 9 and headed for the Angeles basin. Further along and closer to LA I saw yet another set of overpasses. The grandeur, the poetic sweep, the artistic movement of gross tonnage.......beautiful!


We stopped at a rest area. There is a distinct difference in those of CA compared to the AZ variety. These ones are striving for post modern utilitarianism. Functional enough, but sterile.


For quite a few hours now we have been travelling with Eucalyptus trees beside the road. I crushed some leaves inside a napkin, so Scooterchick could have the fresh odor in the car. Nice.


 We saw a sign proclaiming Kingsland as a Swedish village so stopped for lunch and a bit of a look see. The town definitely had a Scandihoovian feel. This is the Evangelical Covenant Church, It is one of about 20 churches and ministries in the downtown area, about 2X4 blocks. Either these local Hoovians are very observant, or there's a strong spirit  of division to foster so many different outlets.          


Here was a repair shop labeled Larson Auto Service. Being a Larsen by descent, I didn't feel it necessary to say hello.


Again with the flowers, I know. There is something thrilling about seeing the roses blooming in January. It raises the level of joy and love in my heart. Kind of hard to explain.....



This is a mural that gives a description of the founding of the town and some information about the early days of habitation.


Although I have little interest in second hand women's clothing, I tool this picture because it illustrates something endemic to Scandinavian latitudes. They have a propensity top decorate the exterior of their buildings in ways that are  pleasing to the eye. I guess when summer is short and winter long, it helps to have something pleasant to look upon.


There are representations of Dala horses throughout town. These gaily colored horses were originally made by woodsmen who had to spend long periods away from their families, and would spend time carving and painting these wooden toys for their children. They speak of family, love and lonely hours in some remote timber camp. As you can see Scooterrchick has a different perspective.


This is Kingsland City Hall. Quintessential small town America. Neat, proper and soldiering bravely on in the face of a world in turmoil.


Here is another example of Scandinavian style architecture, although this one has more of a mountain aspect to it. I don't think it is a city ordinance that people must have this cultural feel to their businesses. I think it's more pride of heritage. Some of the downtown buildings are just buildings, while many are statements.


This is one panel of a large wall mural. It depicts a local sports hero, Rafer Johnson who competed in the decathlon. Scooterchick and I will participate in such events from the spectator area.


Here are the other panels of the mural. They speak of traditional Swedish values of home, education and community.


There was a large carved Viking on the corner. Scooterchick was cozying up to this Nordic warrior. He didn't seem to mind her attention. I thought I saw a smile playing across his wooden lips.


As you can see not every building has a Nordic feel. This one is like a bit of Old Mexico in the middle of Sweden.....hmmmmmmmmm. This one is a real estate and insurance agency. Verdad?


The decor even extends to the water tank which is decorated like a gaily colored coffee pot. Now that ingenuity and imagination.


We stopped for a bite to eat at an indoor market. The inside of the building was partitioned into stores of about 15 x 40 feet. These were then decorated in differing styles, so it gave the feeling of a small village. There were a lot of things to see before we got to the restaurant at the end where we had a wee bite.


Here is the bite in question. I had a turkey, avocado and cheese sandwich on seedy bread, with cream of broccoli soup...yum!


Scooterchick was watching me eat with a loving expression on her face. She has said on more than one occasion that she loves to watch me eat....and drive....and watch movies...and work at my computer. I can't quite figure it out. It must be love!!! It is certainly reciprocal!!!


When I inquired how her food was, her eyebrows went up. The soup was so thick she found it to be more like pudding. I finished hers as soon as I ate mine.


Here is a representation of one of the stores in the market. They were very well done. It does have a small village feel to it. All in all a pleasant way to pass the time before jumping back on the freeway for the remaining 20-30 minutes to get to our destination.


And so concludes our visit to Kingsland. I did get this shot of what I call cloud trees just before getting  to the car. I am often surprised by nature, and the beauty and diversity. Surprised and thrilled that is.


Soon enough we were at our hotel. We took a quick side trip to Target to get a few necessitos, and then settled in to plan our day today. I spent so much time looking at and planning our trip into the Bay Area coordinating transit, sights and accommodations, that I was unable to start blogging until about 10:30. I only managed to get about a half hour in before my eyes started closing of their own volition.

Scooterchick had meanwhile given up and was solidly asleep by the time I brushed my teeth and turned out the light. I thought I should finish, and then decided "I can't...I just can't." and so to sleep and finish this a.m. we only have about 3.5 hours to drive today so it should be an easy day.

Breakfast time..........bye bye.

No comments: